By Craig Kwasniewski
Time to break out another edition of MMPG. It's been awhile since the last time I did one of these, basically it's a brief look at the past weekend's action in the NBA.
1. Golden State should rock "The City" permanently: The Warriors broke out the Hardwood Classic jersey from the 1966-67 season on Sunday. These are the yellow ones with "The City" on the front and the player's number on a cable car on the back. Easily they're the best retro jerseys ever (unless you're counting the Nets Turnpike Cement ones). Much like the SD Chargers' powder blues, "The City" jerseys need to be a permanent fixture.
2. Kapono Resurgence: Jason Kapono is a decent basketball player... there I said it. Growing up in LA, I've seen my fair share of overrated UCLA basketball players (Ed O'Bannon, Toby Bailey, Tyus Edney and Don MacLean, to name a few). So it was very easy to put the one-dimensional Kapono in that category. What I didn't realize is that he's the perfect fit for the Miami Heat, a quality spot shooter. With Shaq and Wade drawing double and triple teams, Kapono finds the open spot on the floor and waits for the kick-out. So what's the difference between this year and last year? He actually hitting those wide open jumpers (he's shooting 51.3% vs. 44.6% from last year). Now he wasn't shooting particularly well in Sunday's win over Cleveland, but he did hit a nice three with a few minutes left that put the game away.
3. The worst graphic during a Laker telecast: I saw this during the Lakers-Warriors game on Sunday, "Smush Parker: Has not missed game in Laker career. 139 consecutive starts."
(Heavy Sigh) Okay first off, you're "The Official Laker Telecast" and you can't mix in an indefinite article or a pronoun? Not to go Truman Capote in Murder by Death, but "Has not missed *A* game in *HIS* Laker career." Save it for the fortune cookies!
Anyway, five Lakers and counting (Mo Evans had a nasty spill in the first half) have missed games with various injuries. Yet somehow Smush has remained healthy all year. How freaking lucky are Laker Fans! Not to wish any injuries on a player, but... well you know where I'm going with this. (BTW - Smush missed two freethrows literally seconds after the graphic was shown. Twisted ankle anyone?)
4. Sonics Insider talks about New Orleans recovery from Katrina: One of my favorite newpaper blogs is the Sonics Insider by Frank Hughes. Most of the beat writers have blogs that act more or less like deleted scenes from their newspaper articles. Many of them are wordy, useless and very team friendly. Well, the Sonics Insider offers not only insight into the Sonics, but also the rest of the league. Last Friday, there were two posts that describe Hughes' recent trip to New Orleans. Unfortunately, in some areas it seems as though not much has improved in the past 18 months. Please check out his posts: New Orleans and New Orleans continued ...
5. Props to Dime Magazine: We're mentioned in the February edition of Dime Magazine as the "Blog Pick." I have to admit it's really cool seeing your work in print. Both Brett and I have been doing this for roughly 14 months and it's these things that really help keep you going when you're up at 2:00 AM with incredible writer's block. Thanks Dime Magazine!